The DC Department of Public Works (DPW) is looking for mural sites in all District wards for consideration for the MuralsDC program, which will run beginning spring 2013.
MuralsDC is a partnership between DPW and the DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities (DCCAH). MuralsDC was created to help replace illegal graffiti with artistic works, to revitalize sites within the community and to engage young people in a legal activity that promotes respect for public and private property.
There are currently 41 MuralsDC projects across the District. Each tells a unique story of DC’s diverse neighborhoods while deterring further illegal graffiti. Visit muralsdc.org to view past murals. DPW and DCCAH are looking for sites that are frequent targets of graffiti. MuralsDC provides artists, youth, supplies and all materials.
By submitting your site for consideration, you acknowledge that you are giving permission for these projects to take place on the structure specified. Once an application and a signed Authorization and Agreement form are received, an evaluation of the site will be made by DPW and a MuralsDC art consultant, who will assess the site for feasibility based on the below criteria, space dimensions and the condition of the wall’s surface. Sites will be selected and owners will be notified on or before May 15, 2013. Please note a submission does not guarantee selection.
Criteria for Site Selection:
- Space must be privately owned (not a private residence) and located in the District of Columbia
- Owner must consent (via a signed Authorization and Release form) to donate wall space for at least one year and mural must remain intact for that year
- Space must be a chronic target of graffiti
- Space must be highly visible from the street
What to submit:
- Three Jpegs of the site, from different vantage points. (i.e. wall, building, etc.)
- Location/address of the site
- Approximate Dimensions (length, height, width)
- Name of building owner
Signed Authorization form from building owner (download here)
Contact information for owner (phone number, email address)
How to Submit:
Submissions and requests for Authorization forms can be emailed to Nancee Lyons at Nancee.firstname.lastname@example.org, with the Subject line: MURALSDC. Or mailed to Nancee Lyons, DC Department of Public Works, 2000 14th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20009. Deadline for submissions is April 15, 2013. Incomplete submissions will not be considered.